Here at Fremantle Door & Window we believe it is vitally important that we take environmentally friendly decisions with regards to the timber we source for our craftsman built timber doors and windows.
At the same time the products we select must be capable of withstanding the harsh climate and insect pests here in Western Australia especially in more extreme environments as experienced in the north west of the state.
Whilst we source hardwoods that are harvested to meet strict environmental certification criteria we are also now sourcing a new type of plantation timber called Vulcan.
What Is Vulcan Thermally Modified Plantation Timber?
Vulcan+ is engineered from clear, thermally modified plantation timber to bring about sustainability, style and durability.
For many decades craftsmen all over the world have sought out vertical grain (also known as quartersawn) timber for its desirable characteristics of stability and reliability in performance.
With the unique patented manufacturing processes used to create Vulcan these attributes are re-created on every board, thus providing ultimate performance in final application.
Vulcan Timber Benefits
Whether coloured or allowed to silver with time, Vulcan timbers will maintain their beauty for years to come.
- Pest Resistant – H3 treated, rot and pest resistant
- Built to last – Durability class 1 (above ground)
- Stability – Movement is reduced by up to 90% as compared to other species
- Less shrinking and swelling by 50%
- ECO Friendly – contains no environmental hazards and is sourced from renewable plantations
- Durability – Increases the durability of softwoods by removing all extractives
- Beautiful Colour – The sugar content caramelises creating a dark brown colour similar to spotted gum and walnut
- Improves thermal insulation properties
Vulcan Timber Colours